For some of us it’s hard to ignore the temptation when our sweet tooth beckons. When you’re trying to keep the calories in check a great alternative is to sip a cup of warm chai tea. The sweet spice combination of black tea, cinnamon, cardamom and star anise helps to alleviate the cravings. A great way to enjoy the brew is with a splash of almond or low fat milk and a touch of honey, it's soothing and decadent all at once. I don’t always have loose leaf chai on hand but I’ve discovered some great brands that are easy to find and adhere to sustainable practices. These six teas taste authentic, are high quality and all offer their own unique twist on the chai tea blend. Have a chai tea favorite or simply love a certain brand, please let me know in the comments section.
- Tea Pigs Chai – The teas from Tea Pigs are made from selected estates. Their strong commitment to quality produces some of the best loose leaf and tea temples on store shelves. Their Chai blend is made with assam tea, cardamom, cinnamon, and ginger. It’s perfectly spicy and not too strong.
- SerendipiTea All Spice Chai – Since 2007 this Long Island based tea company has been importing and promoting organic tea. They have a variety of Chai blends but my favorite is their All Spice Chai. An organic blend of allspice, cinnamon, clove, ginger, Indian black tea and orange peel.
- Pukka Original Chai – Pukka is a UK based tea company established in 2001. Their original chai includes black tea, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger and licorice. This fair-trade blend is sourced from small farmers and has a warming quality perfect for cold nights.
- Clipper Indian Chai – A UK based company known for using unbleached tea bags. They were also the UK’s first fair trade tea brand. Their Indian chai is an organic mix of tea, cinnamon, lemon peel, cloves and fennel. I love this spicy blend with a touch of milk and a drop of almond extract.
- Tulsi Red Chai Masala Tea – A responsible tea company that believes in providing a sustainable wage for their farmers and using biodynamic agricultural practices. Their unique red chai tea is made with roobios instead of black tea and also includes the herb tulsi (also known a holy basil). Additional ingredients include cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, roasted chicory, and nutmeg
- Numi Golden Chai - A company that has built its reputation on giving back and supporting global community initiatives. One of those initiatives is H2OPE, which provides safe and clean drinking water to those in need. Their golden chai is a rich blend of assam tea, cinnamon, ginger and cardamom. The flavors are strong and authentic which is attributed to the quality organic ingredients used in all of their teas.