It seems every month a new subscription box service is popping up. All these choices made me wonder what's available to those of us who love tea. It turns out many tea companies are offering unique and inexpensive ways to sample new and even limited edition teas. After careful research I've compiled what I think are the five brands that offered the best quality for the price and source their teas responsibly. Any one of these tea clubs would make a special gift for yourself or that tea lover in your life.
1. Discover Teas based in Virginia is a favorite of mine. I've written about them in a previous post here. They take pride in their custom blends and will help you navigate the complexities of wellness teas and the benefits. You have the choice of a 12 month or 6 month subscription. Each month you receive one 4-ounce blend of tea. What makes this club unique is that you will only receive house blends. It’s a great way to diversify your tea collection and try something completely new. Cost for 12 months is $250 and 6 months is $140. Both options include free shipping.
2. The Tea Spot offers six different tea clubs ranging from all organic to single estate. They offer a one-time delivery or a quarterly subscription model. The sets you receive are designed around the season. A plus is the free gift, a steeping mug included with your first order. Prices range from $42.95 up to $54.95. Each set comes with 3+ teas for a total of 8-12oz. Shipping is not included.
3. Arbor Teas is a great company located out of Ann Arbor, MI. A core element of the company is reducing the environmental footprint of tea drinking. They use compostable packaging and support fair trade and organic tea sourcing. The tea of the month club is 6 months for $96.95 or 12 months for $186.95. Each month you receive 5-ounces of a particular tea. A list of the teas you will receive is on their website. Both options include free shipping.
4. Verdant Teas stands for small farmers, hand crafted and sustainable sourcing. View their site and you will see faces, names and the positive impact responsible tea sourcing can have on a family and their region. The tea subscription offered reads more like a wine club with words like curated and experimental. Each month a partner farmer hosts the tea box. What you receive is the very best they have to offer. Each month you will receive a minimum total of 75gr of tea in at least 3 types. Depending on the small farmer and the production you could receive up to 15 different samples. The shipping is free and the cost is $30 a month.
5. Art of Tea has been around since 1996. Based out of Los Angeles they have a strict adherence to sustainability. All their materials are biodegradable and they follow fair trade practices since their inception. The tea of the month program is robust and offers 3 tiers in terms of pricing. You can purchase the standard 6 or 12 month subscription or a recurring plan that doesn't expire and can be canceled anytime. All subscriptions come with one tea in 2-4 ounces, free shipping each month and a free gift with initial order.